Installing the Fire Extinguisher and Cover

After sewing a black vinyl fire extinguisher cover, it’s time to actually install the thing.

I purposefully aligned it a little off center on the tunnel, because my big ol’ gas pedal foot was hitting the extinguisher when it was centered. A couple of self tappers held it in tight.

There was another black foam pad on that center bit that I later found stuck to my hoodie. Stuck that back in place and clamped in the fire extinguisher.

And now with the vinyl cover in place.

The end caps are a little long, since the tunnel is round-ish. I cut a couple of slits in each end, hoping it would lay better.

But, meh. Again, it’s fine. I think I will probably make a new cover later. We’ll see where that eventually lands on the project priority list. It may be determined by whether the wind whips this cover around while driving with the windows down. I may see if I can Velcro the cover down at a later time.

Fire Extinguisher Cover

Last summer in (Please Don’t) Burn Baby Burn, I purchased a fire extinguisher to keep in the car. I just left it awkwardly laying under the edge of the passenger side floor mat. My plan is to mount the bracket that came with it to the tunnel under the dash.

I was visiting my mom for the week and packed up the remaining blank vinyl (from Wrapping the Dash Pad Take 2 Day 1) and my sewing supplies, thinking I could make a nice cover and have a project to do in my down time.

I cut out template pieces from junk mail sheets I had kept around to use as masking paper.

I cut the vinyl into the template shapes and then pinned the pieces together for sewing.

I used my mom’s old Morse sewing machine to put it together. I had blue upholstery thread that was left over from when I made a couch cover a few years ago.

It’s not perfect, as you can see. The stitches were jumping around a little, but it’s fine. If it doesn’t look good, it was really easy to make and I have lots of remaining material, so I can try again later.

(Please Don’t) Burn Baby Burn

I have had a couple videos of burning Beetles randomly present themselves in the last few days. Logically, fuel hose and carburetor gaskets are the biggest concern. As I was walking around the car, I decided to open up the rear deck lid and gave the fuel hoses a squeeze. They are fabric covered, so I couldn’t see anything wrong, but the rubber still felt nice and pliable.

The next time I started up the car, I smelled it.

After running for approximately twenty seconds, there was a puddle of gasoline in the bottom of the engine bay.

I had recently been troubleshooting a similar problem with my lawn mower. It doesn’t leak fuel noticeably when mowing, but over the course of the next few days after, would slowly dribble it out, soaking into the air filter. Mowing my lawn only takes a third of a tank of gas, but every time I go to mow, the tank is empty again.

ANYWAY, after disassembling everything and cleaning the carburetor, verifying the hoses and clamps were still good, I had the same problem the next time I mowed. As a temporary stop-gap until I could figure out the actual cause of the problem, I picked up a fuel petcock at Lowe’s (Lowe’s link) which also came with a foot of fuel line. Two birds, one stone!

I’m happy to report, there have been no further issues. BUT, just in case…

That’s not at all the right angle to store that at (surprise shot in the face).